- The traditional activities of providing coaching and competitive opportunities to athletes between the ages of 12 to 30.
- Providing these same services to both Masters athletes (over 30 years) and to Para Athletes.
- Providing highly structured and professionally led athletic developmental programs for the 6 – 12 year old age group.
- Partnering with the University of Ottawa to provide their student athletes with varsity programs in track and field and cross country and the opportunity for our own graduating secondary school athletes to have the choice to stay and develop academically and athletically at home.
- Partnering with Athletics Canada to host two National Training Centres (Sprints, Hurdles and Relay Centre / Paralympic Event Training Centre) for the development of athletes to international teams.
- Hosting over 20 meets per year, from local all-comer, elementary and high school meets to provincial and national championships.
- Putting on formal and informal coaching clinics for club and school coaches.
- Providing strength and fitness programs for athletes in other sports.
- Providing meet management and event timing services at over 60 meets per year to all levels of the school system, provincial and national sport governing bodies.
We strive to encourage participation in our sport at all levels in the City of Ottawa and surrounding areas by organising competitive opportunities for everyone from the recreational athlete to the Olympian. Ottawa Lions’ members have included those who sought to improve their fitness and speed for other sports to athletes who have succeeded at every level including elementary school, high school, university, national, world and Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Our programs are based at two fantastic facilities, the renovated Terry Fox Athletic Facility at Mooney’s Bay and the Dôme @ Louis-Riel in Blackburn Hamlet, which houses the only indoor 400m track in Canada. We also run programs in the west end of Ottawa in the winter for youth under 14 years of age.
The success of all our programs is primarily due to our outstanding all-volunteer coaching staff, which is the largest of any coaching staff in Canada and which includes a greater proportion of female coaches than any other club. We are fortunate to have very experienced coaches, some of whom have served on national teams at Olympic and Paralympic Games, World Championships and other major international competitions.