The 2014 Canadian Track and Field Championships are set to kick off Friday in Moncton with 20 Lions athletes ready to do battle over the three day competition.
The contingent is led by defending champions, Sultana Frizell, Melissa Bishop, Rachael Burrows, Joshua Cassidy and Jason Dunkerley.
Frizell enters the women’s hammer competition as the heavy favourite to repeat having bettered her own Canadian record already this year and nearly 8.5m ahead of her nearest competitor.
Bishop will be looking for her second national championship when the women’s 800m final goes off Sunday afternoon. While the Eganville native has been very consistent in the 2:00.50 to 2:01.00 range so far this season, look for her to run tactically to regain her crown.
Josh Cassidy will likely be the busiest Lion of the weekend, as he is set to demonstrate his range, racing the 400m up to 5000m in the T54 wheelchair category. Cassidy, who will be using this event as a tune up for next month’s Commonwealth Games enters as the top seed in the 800m, 1500m and 5000m.
Paralympian Rachael Burrows will be looking defend her T34 100m and 200m titles while Jason Dunkerley will be racing in both the T11 1500m and 5000m – events he medalled in at the 2012 Paralympic Games. Dunkerley had won the 800m event at last year’s national championships, just a few months after donating a kidney to his wife.
Other returning medalists from 2013 include Oluwasegun Makinde (200m), Michael Robertson (400m), Sekou Kaba (110mH), Jon Dunkerley (T11 400m/800m) and Jared Broughton (T13 1500m).
The full list of Lions participants are as follows, with seeds in parathenses:
- Oluwasegun Makinde 100m (11th), 200m (5th)
- Oluseyi Smith 100m (16th)
- Michael Robertson 200m (12th), 400m (4th)
- Devin Biocchi 200m (16th), 400m (7th)
- Toluwalope Makinde 200m (17th)
- Gordon Frenke 400m (10th)
- Jon Dunkerley T11 400m (2nd), 800m (1st)
- Jason Dunkerley T11 1500m (1st), 5000m (1st)
- Josh Cassidy T54 400m, 800m (1st), 1500m (1st), 5000m (1st)
- Mohamed Souleiman 800m (11th), 1500m (10th)
- Jared Broughton T13 800m (1st), 1500m (2nd)
- Jason Dunkerley T11 5000m (1st)
- Sekou Kaba 110mH (3rd)
- Rachael Burrows T34 100m (2nd), 200m (2nd)
- Melissa Bishop 800m (1st)
- Ashlea Maddex 100mH (5th)
- Karelle Edwards 100mH (8th)
- Divya Biswal LJ (12th), TJ (5th)
- Valerie Chartrand (11th)
- Sultana Frizell (1st)